1940s National Cigarette MachineThis deco-influenced 1940s National Cigarette Machine comes out of midcentury St. Louis, Missouri. It has been fully restored with precision, though modern-day packs do not fit into this machine. The seven columns and "Cigarettes" display illuminate. The original incarnation of the National corporation was known as the National Sales Machine Company. It fell during the Great Depression, but was quickly reopened in 1933 as National Vendors. National Vendors grew throughout the thirties and forties. During World War II, they produced mortar ammunitions casings. After the war, National Vendors returned to making cigarette, candy, and pastry vending machines. They were acquired by the Universal Match Company in 1956.