A very rare pair of polished steel, aluminum and brass World War II British naval binoculars used for spotting aircraft made by Ross of London stamped 1942.
This is the first pair we have owned with it’s original wood fitted box. The box is labeled ROSS LONDON and later marked “Reserved For Eastern Fleet S.N. 18/6/45.
Andrew Ross 1798-1859 founded his company in 1830 and began producing camera lenses. The company grew and by the 1890’s began working closely with Zeiss. Zeiss and Goerz lenses were produced and sold under license by Ross in the UK and the British Empire.
At the outbreak of War the British Government put Ross in control of the newly opened Carl Zeiss binocular and optical factory in Mill Hill, London.
Ross London produced exceptional binoculars and telescopes. By the 1940’s Ross had perfected their large naval binoculars aided by their working with Carl Zeiss.